Sunday, May 25, 2008

Here We Go

Today was probably a first in the long line of roller coaster days. Tyler was great during the morning and early afternoon. And just like that we are on a downward hill speeding. Somewhere around 8pm Tyler's blood pressure dropped and his breathing became very difficult. His lung developed a small hole in it and was filling his chest cavity with air. His team responded quickly by putting a chest tube in to release the pressure. As of 1am (it's hard to sleep being 2 hours away and not truly having a clue what is going on), when I called the NICU, Tyler was stabilizing very well. Ben and David felt comfortable enough to get sleep themselves. As too causes there are many for this age. It is a common complication that happens to these small under develop preemie lungs. As always they will monitor him very closely.

My conversation didn't stop after I heard that Tyler was good for the moment.

My conversations with Ben today have had a lot of questions of when I'll be released from SNHMC. My infection is rather serious, there is little doubt I'll be on IV antibiotics for another 20 or so hours with a follow up with oral meds. My tummy is still very tender to touch. The nurses and Doctors here have been very careful not to bring up the "you are going home" topic to me at all. I've asked and I keep getting we shall see what tomorrow brings. My night nurse has been the most frank with me by saying they are waiting to see if the fever comes back tomorrow or if the tenderness finally goes down. Either way, it sounds like I'm going to be transferred yet again back to Dartmouth tomorrow morning. Tyler's nurse told me to do everything I could to get out or transferred back up because Tyler and Ben need me up there.

So for now, everyone is stable and resting as comfortably as we can. Tomorrow promises to be a new day of this ride called a roller coaster.

No comments: