Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Getting to know Tyler part 1

Since Friday, we've answered "How is Tyler today" with a lot of medical readings and stats. We have neglected another important part of "How is Tyler", the "Who is Tyler".

As I've mentioned in earlier posts, Tyler always gave the nurses a hard time anytime we needed to monitor him. Well he is the same way on the outside. I'll focus this installment around the events of his birth.

Friday morning was the first day I felt lousy and could tell Tyler also felt lousy. Friday was the first time he just sat through a monitoring session without kicking and trying to move away from it. His readings were stable but lacked the usual ups and downs. It was the day to meet Tyler. I had a very short intense labor. He wanted out badly. Labor was a total of 7 hours. After the Epidural and an hour rest, the SNHMC neonatal Dr came in the meet us. We talked for a while and Ben went to tour the unit. Meanwhile I asked the nurse for help using the restroom. With an Epidural, one uses a bed pan. Ben just came back as the nurse finished setting me up, when I realized I didn't have to pee. As I told the nurse this, her eyes became very large and rushed to get me off the pan. Tyler decided at this time to surprise everyone with his presences. Super Nurse caught him just before he actually landed in a bed pan. No one but Ben and Super Nurse were in the room, the Dr's were not even aware he was coming, none of the carts were near the room. He once again, despite feeling lousy put everyone on their toes.

I had a precious 2 minutes with him on my tummy while Super Nurse calmly explained to the charge nurse up front she was holding my baby and needed a cart and support staff STAT. As soon as the Dr. came in and took him off me, he started a fierce round of grunting. Grunting is a preemie's version of crying. I could see his anger from across the small room above all the working voices of the Dr's and nurses. He is a fighter. We wants to live, He has inherited the stubborn attitude of his parents.

From here I don't have a lot of direct interactions with Tyler until Sunday afternoon. From what Daddy and Grandpa have said, he has kept fighting and has bonded with Ben in that special first bond. Tyler hears Ben or sees Ben and you can see recognition. He does his best to try tracking Ben with his eyes or turn his head to the sound of Ben's voice. Out of all this, Ben has been given the greatest gift that usually mother's receive first. It is very special to watch. These two will be very close.
More on Who is Tyler another time, our rounds are about to start.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you PLEASE give me more pictures. I keep this up all day at work or at home and all I do is refresh, like every 20 min! i know Im obsessed! the last blog was tough to read, but fingers are crossed for better news on Friday. take a picture of Ben talking and Tyler looking for him.....a nice action shot. keep up the good work and let us know if we can help
A-

Gib and Abby Brogan said...

Wow, you are going to have to hide that bedpan story from Tyler's friends or else he is going to get some fun nick names from his friends in high school. I am so glad that you got those two minutes, I'm sure they were scary but worth it.

As for your ride on space mountain, you may be in the dark, but you are not alone. Everyone's thoughts are with you three. Remember that our kids are really tuff, they can over come so much. They make us look like wimps.
~Abby

Kate said...

So the big question is, what color are the "TEAM TYLER" bracelets and when do they arrive? Because it is already very large team and we need to begin color-coordinating.

Sending a lot of love and good thoughts from Maine -

kate

Anne said...

Is there any question what color the bracelets are?!?!?! Royal blue of course!! Delivery by 7 PM tomorrow night (Thursday). 3 sizes available...I know many are headed for Freeport - let me know if anyone wants some, I'll send them right out!!!...and they're not TEAM TYLER bracelets - we had to be a little creative!