Monday, May 26, 2008

Ah.. the power of Motrin(tm)

As Sharron and I sat in the ICN last night trying to reach a nice balance of Tyler being stable and our being tired. My farther who had just left to go home ran back in. He told us that Rachel had a fever! That is a pretty big emotional blow. Our little girl not feeling well, we're 2 hours away, and even if we were right there we would have to choose to see her and wait a few days to see Tyler or wait until she is feeling better. It's a very hard call, The child who knows they would like to see mommy and daddy vs the child who needs every bit of time we can give him, but won't remember that we were there. In the end Rachel is in good hands with Grama and Bumpa. We may try and have a web conference with her tonight.

Today we have the exciting addition. Tyler now has an OG(Oral Gastric) Tube. We have just started Tyler on expressed milk from mommy (also called "liquid gold" around here). So far he has had 1ml, and seems to be tolerating it well. We will see how he does and slowly increase from there.

For those who like to send flowers, Please don't. We have nowhere to put them. Tyler and his hardware(mostly his hardware) is taking up about 110% of his alloted bed-space. Most of the time we sit in an empty bay next to him. If either one fills up (the last two open slots in the unit) it's going to get cozy. If you feel like you need to send something please consider donating to David's House. They have a great facility that allows parents and family of children at DHMC a cheap, family oriented place to stay within sight of the hospital. The offer us dinner each night, and common food to eat for breakfast and lunch. The staff also takes care of the cleaning and suppling everyday items like dish soap, free laundry machines, paper towels, you get the picture. They are always looking for simple household items to help the gusts focus on their children. A local school boy today asked his mom if he could bake brownies for David's House. His mom says of course, I'll bake anything that I don't have to eat myself. So today, Sharron was able to indulge her love of brownies.

One last programming note: My cell-hone folded. It happened last Friday night. Thanks to Tim I've got a cheapo go-phone and swapped my SIM-card so my old number works. I have some of my address book, but most of it died with the phone. If I don't call you and you suspect I should consider calling me. Though be aware we are asked to have our phones off in the NICU. It is a room full of tension and beeping the last thing they need is a cell phone.

And... A picture:

1 comment:

Kate said...

Best picture yet! He's way bigger than I was thinking. You guys (all of you) are doing a great job.