Saturday, September 6, 2008

Take 2 on the Shrinking Head


Tyler still likes to keep us on our toes. For the last 2 weeks he's looked hydrocephalus. His fontinell was full and bulging, the sutures (bone plates) where spreading, sleeping more than I'd like, and his cries were not as forceful. Ben and I were hoping to get to the 22nd without having to take an emergency trip up again. On the 22nd he gets another ride in an MRI. From those pictures we decided if he needs another surgery. Could be a shunt or another round of hole poking in that cyst.

We woke up today with more of the same on his head. I went to work for 6 hours and came home and did a quick once over on Tyler. Oh my God, his head is sunken. The fluid is gone. His head isn't bulging or embossing anymore, the fontinell is sunken and very soft, by 6pm he's eaten close to 600cc (he normally has been taking 600cc in a 24 hour period), and very alert. The bump on the side of his head is also noticeably smaller and very squishy. I admit it, I panicked and called neurosurgery. How could that much fluid move in such short time.

Neurosurgery could not give me a good answer as to why. Since he does not have extra hardware in his head, they are not concerned that it will over drain. Most likely something clogged up the works and the fluid built behind it and the pressure finally moved it out of the way. So we keep watching him for any changes in his behavior. They must think I'm nuts up there. 2 weeks ago we rushed him up there because it filled up and now I call when it empties. I'm surprise I have any hair left.

No comments: