Monday, January 5, 2009

Pheww!

Knock on some wood before you read any farther. So far this year is going much quieter than last. This time last year, Zoey has been in the doggie hospital twice and then was in for a week. Rachel and I were brewing up some pneumonia to which no doctor would treat. I realized I wasn't going to lose the the pregnancy before 3 months and better do something about it. And mostly, I can see dirt this year. By this time last year, we had 2 feet of snow on the ground. So, 2009 is already treating me better.

Tyler overall is just fine. He has the case of the grumps this week, but I think teeth are moving combine with the 1/2 year mental break down. A lot of kids will have a personality shift at their 1/2 years for development. Once that passes usually you see some break through s with their development.

Tyler hates to be on his tummy, a lot. So I'm having a hard time convincing him that he needs to be on his tummy without screaming and shooting his arm way out to the side. He still isn't really pushing up yet. He can hold his head up and move it side to side but he isn't using his arms to push up. So he hasn't started rolling over without the help of the couch incline. I'm starting to get very nervous that he doesn't do these things and then I have to remember he really is only 5 months old gestationally and has a lot of medical set backs to compromise the strength in his neck and upper body. I also have remember Rachel did not push up much either. She much rather sit and later learned to crawl from a seated position. Looks like Tyler has the same idea. He loves to sit and I can make him lean on his arms a little to build up the strength he needs there. Early Intervention still only comes out every other week. If he doesn't start making big progresses on pushing up onto his arms, I wonder if they will come out more often to help him and me.

Yet Tyler is excelling in other places, like sitting and able to support his weight on his feet. He will stand up if someone will keep his balance for him. He and Rachel love to play in the exersaucer. He sits in it watching her play with all the toys. They both usually are giggling their heads off. Tyler will also reach and grab a toy when he's on his back or in a seated position. A lot of toys he can manipulate how he wants it to go into his mouth. This child will be one that puts EVERYTHING in his mouth. Both hands will do this which is great. He is also doing really well eating cereal. He opens his mouth really big and his tongue doesn't push an excessive amounts out of his mouth. Usually I can't shovel it in fast enough. Last night I gave him a teething biscuit while I was eating dinner and it really cut down on his frustrated "I want some of that" sounds and moves.

It's funny, his next development appointment at DHMC is 2 1/2 months away and I'm already starting to get nervous about it. I know in my heart he is doing fine and coming along beautifully. I know the early roads we took didn't give him a good start. As I look at him I'm constantly amazed on what he has accomplished in 8 months of life that started so rocky. I know everyone will be very pleased at his accomplishments. I just scared that I'm missing something. I'm scared all the progress so far will be somehow undone. It's one of the most irrational purely emotional fears I have and logically I know it's silly, but emotions are not logical. I'm finding parenting is a lot of irrational fears and emotions. But it's also fun and amazing journey to watch them grow and learn.

So let 2009 be a quieter year with more triumph and as few set backs as possible. Let this year shine with two extremely happy and bright children. Let's face it, they are cute. I'm just along for the ride.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, all of the Brogan and Bucknam kids would probably be quicker to crawl if their grandmothers would put them down once in awhile. The aunts don't help, either. Seriously, I can't believe that video you posted - I don't think I saw that boy do anything at the Christmas party except snuggle with his Gramma ... come to find out he's pretty chatty! And Rachel was too funny, hugging all the kids. Based on my vast experience (that's a joke), I think you're doing a heckuva job! Here's to a great 2009!