Wednesday, March 3, 2010

5 am and old habits die hard

A month shy of my 2 year annivery in this place, I'm awake at 5 am waiting for rounds. In many ways it seems so long ago. So much has happened over the last 23 months. Yet the drone of this hospital hasn't changed a bit. DaRT has flown off and back now twice. We have a great view of the airfield. Nurses still come in at all hours to wake a sleeping patient for silly stuff like blood pressure and temperature. Have to admit ours is a great one tonight. Tyler went right back to sleep after the midnight one and barely woke up for the 4am check. And there is no way to get away from the bells and heavy feet walking in the halls. We are in the regular pedi unit at least. It is quite a bit quieter than the critical care units. But the bells still run chills down my back after 19 months. Ben is taking his turn on the Guantanamo approved torture, I mean sleeping device. Because the unit is farily full we only have one, thank God. I'm eternally thankful that I didn't have to sleep on that when I was sitting in the Birth Pavilion. I also have a deeper understanding of how much Ben really loves me to spend all those nights on one of those things while I was sitting in the Birthing Pavilion. We won't even mention what they try to pass off as food here. We ran into one of our favorite nurses last night from the ICN. Tyler showed off all his stuff for her. Walking, climbing, talking; acting like the normal 21 month he is. It was a smiley good visit all around. I have no clue if they round up here and when. Truly we haven't seen a doctor since neurosurgery came last night. We found the exact spot Tyler landed on his head. We were cleaning him up from a make shift dinner and noticed a soft squishy spot on the side of his head. We assumed he hit the back of his head, nope he hit the side. The squishy spot is just one massive bruise forming in an area that doesn't have a lot of fat tissue. His skull is fine and the bruise is right above the area in question so it all fits. We don't know what time he'll go in for an MRI yet. I've half expected him to have already gone before the normal appointments get started. But for now, I'm content listening to the snore of my baby boy and wondering how Rachel gets any sleep (They share a room still).

No comments: